May 11, 2011

Natural Fibers vs. Synthetic


A few reason I try to stay with natural fibers...

  • My oldest son developed an allergic reaction to polyester when he was a baby... well I don't know if it was an allergic reaction, but he cried and was extra fussy whenever polyester was against his skin. There must be a reason he didn't react so well to it, and since then we pretty much stayed away from polyester for our children.
  • My mother-in-law, who knows her stuff, has told me once and again that people should wear only natural fibers. She has more experience than me, so I trust her.
  • In case of a fire, polyester can melt onto your skin… YIKES!! ... which increases the severity of your injuries.
  • I don't know if there was a study done, but I have heard that arthritis is linked to polyester.

There are three types of fibers:

1. Natural Fibers:
(natural resources)

Cotton
(from the cotton plant’s seed pod)

Wool
(from animal coats: sheep, goats, rabbits, alpacas, llama)

Silk
(from the cocoon of the silkworm)

Linen
(from flax, a bast fiber taken from the stalk of the plant)

Hemp, Ramie, and Jute
(similar to linen but the plants are processed slightly differently)

2. Synthetic Fibers:

(chemical resources)

Polyester
Nylon
Acrylic
Olefin
Spandex
Modal


3. Cellulose Fibers:

(natural resources chemically processed)
(artificial, not synthetic)

Rayon
Acetate
Spandex




I hope this helps you.


Disclaimer:
I found all of this info on Wikipedia.
Please let me know if you feel it is incorrect.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the info, klassno chto u tebya est' FB link, I saves this on my page as well for future references.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to switch to 100% cotton on ALL of our clothes, not just our boys.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts and ideas!