May 26, 2011

Laundry Detergent

I make my own laundry detergent.
This recipe is usually enough for 128 loads..
but it depends on how heavily soiled my husbands work clothes are.

It washes really well and best of all costs very little :D


There are lots of different combinations and ingredients
for home made laundry detergent out there on the web...
I found this, this and these recipes...
tinkered with them and this one works best for us :)

Want to make your own as well?
Now you can!

What you need:

1 bar Fels-Naptha soap
1 cup super washing soda
(not baking soda)
1 cup borax powder
4 1/2 gallons hot water
a 5 gallon bucket



Directions:

1. Grate the soap.

2. Place the grated soap into a pan with about 1/2 a gallon of the water
and heat, stirring often, until the soap melts.

3. Add the soda and borax, stir until dissolved then remove from heat.

4. Pour 4 gallons of hot water into the bucket.

5. Pour the soap mixture into the bucket and stir.

6. Cover and let the detergent sit for 24 hours. It will become like gel.

7. Stir the detergent to break up the gel.



8. Stir the detergent each time you use it.
Use 1/2 cup per small load
1 cup for a large one.

Sometimes I add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the rinse,
This works as a fabric softener.

I have a front loading machine
and I pour the detergent just like you would pour any other detergent
and the vinegar into the cup where you pour the fabric softener.

For pants and underwear that have been peed or pooped in,
potty training children do have accidents,
I add bleach.

I hope this works for you :)

EDIT: This recipe works well if you have soft water. If, however, you have hard water, you will have to add either vinegar or calgon to each wash and rinse cycle.

2 comments:

  1. I make powder version of detergent with same recipe, plus I add a cup of OXI Clean for boost. Mix it all together in a blender and use 3 Tbsp per large load. Cleans better than Tide and my clothes smell as if they were line dried outside in tropical breeze. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 06, 2012

    No wonder I couldn't find the laundry soap in your house...lol

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts and ideas!