Thursday, May 19, 2011

Fun Chairs

I bought these chairs as a set of two from Goodwill a few years ago.
They were brand new (still in the box)
and I think I paid like $12 for them.
They're nice as is, but I just recently discovered mod podge :)
 
Idea!
mod podge + scraps of fabric
 
In action...

I first spread a layer of mod podge to the seat and back rest,
then smoothed the fabric on top,
and finally spread a thick layer of mod podge.
 
To speed things along I used a hair dryer to help it dry faster,
but it didn't work and I had to leave it over night.
.
Once dry, I noticed bubbles on the seats of the chairs.
I guess a thick layer of mod podge isn't the way to go.
Still... they look better than before... 


I cut off all the access fabric..
 
Now the chairs match the papasan,
(+ the future curtains)
And are ready for the Reading Nest
The chairs are finished for now...
though I might have to spray some sort of sealant on them...

EDIT
5/25/11
I just learned that the bubbles are not because of the thickness of the mod podge,
it's because I didn't wait until the first layer of mod podge dried
before I applied the top layer.. so wait between layers!

5 comments:

  1. I would think that the modpodge would be a sealant. They look amazing. How do they feel when you sit on them?
    I love the way you just dive in to your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    They feel just the tiniest bit (and I mean barely) rough.. but the children don't seem to mind :)
    Later on I might cover it some plastic? But for now it's alright :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ur hairdryer...omg...u are totally killing me here...I love this...can't wait to see all finishing touches...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts and ideas!