January 22, 2018

Rags to Riches | Lamps


     I liked these lamp bases the way they were, all they needed was the shades. I picked up a couple from IKEA, but for some reason they leave too much of the hardware visible.. so I needed to come up with a solution. I decided to add a ruffle to the bottom edges.. and this is how I did it..

     Cut strips of cotton fabric that are at least 2.5 times as long as the circumference of the lamp shades.. width depends on the look you want.. I cut mine into 2" strips..



 Wash.. dry.. & iron..

I didn't hem the edges because I like the fuzzy look on the edges after they have been washed.



Sew a gathering stitch and gather..



     I had to borrow my mom's sewing machine because I still haven't unpacked my sewing stuff.. and though I was able to get to my sewing machines, I'm not sure why the cords weren't packed with them.. grr.. and I was the one who packed them so I only have myself to blame ;(

     On the plus side, her machine gathers the fabric automatically when you set the machine to these settings!! And the gathers were all even.. how fabulous!



Hot glue to lamp shades..



Tada!


I think it adds that farmhouse charm to the room without being too frilly :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas!