January 8, 2018

DIY | Home Blocks


     The ladder shelf needed something on the bottom shelf.. I thought about adding a plant, or a folded blanket in a basket, or some kind of a block sign. I couldn't find a faux plant I liked and I'd be folding the blanket several times a day. So I decided on a block sign and settled on HOME made with yarn.

     I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the letters out of card stock {in hindsight, this should have been done with cardboard for sturdier letters.. I'm having doubts these letters will survive my chickadees).. 2 of each.. one for the front and one for the back. Although I used a paper cutting machine, this can be done with scissors or an exacto knife.



I wanted the letters to be 1.5" thick, so I cut a bunch of 1.5" wide strips.. also with the silhouette, but this can be done with a good pair of scissors.

I bent some strips into zig-zags and hot glued them to one set of the letters..



Then I glued the second set of letters on top of the zig-zags.



I taped the remaining strips to create the sides of the letters with masking tape.



Before wrapping the yarn around the letters horizontally, I covered the horizontal bars and caps of the letters vertically.. {I used a hot glue gun to glue the ends of yarn}



Then I wrapped the rest of the letters and hot glued them together..



All done! It looks pretty cool on the ladder shelf :)

EDIT 9.10.18: These did not hold up well with the chickadees :( so if want to you make them, USE CARDBOARD!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas!