September 3, 2018

"You always look so nice!"


     I can't tell you how many times I've been asked how I manage to always look nice, despite having 7 children. Well for starters, I don't always look nice. Only when you see me, weather that's in real life or on social media. Even then, I don't always think I look nice at all. And very few people have seen me at my worst.

     Disclaimer: These opinions are my own and are not a judgment on those who do things different. This is simply what and why I do what I do. If you don't care to know the why, scroll down to the last paragraph 😊

     The way I see it, this is my family. It is my job to take care of my family and that includes me. As moms we tend to take care of everyone's needs, but forget to take care of our own.

     It may seem vain to some people that the way I look is important to me. That I choose to spend any amount of time pampering myself over cleaning. That on Sunday morning, I choose to put on my makeup instead of preparing a gourmet meal for the chickadees. What's wrong with bagels and cream cheese? Or oatmeal? Or even *gasp* some cereal?! When I do not take the time to take care of myself, I not only look run down, I feel it.
It's true what they say, you can't pour from an empty cup. I don't even wear that much make-up; some eyebrow stain, mascara, and lip stain. 

     First impressions matter. It takes people a few seconds to form an opinion of a person based on their appearance. I know that sometimes exhaustion is unavoidable, but many people will only see me once in their lifetime. What kind of opinion do I want to leave them with? That mothers are always exhausted or that children are a blessing? Especially those of a larger number of children!


     Self care is just as important as taking care of your family, so I take the time to:

  • get plenty of rest
  • eat a healthy diet
  • exercise, all you need is 30 minutes, 2-3 times a week
  • take relaxing baths
  • face masks
  • dye my hair
  • pluck my eyebrows
  • put on a little makeup
  • go to pinterest for outfit ideas
  • wear something nice
  • That is how I {almost} always look nice ♥

     I feel like I must also add that I don't do all of these every single day. Though I fix my hair daily, I don't wear makeup on a daily basis, only when getting out of the house. I think it's important to let your face breathe too. I don't take long hot baths daily, only a few times a week. Face masks aren't even a weekly thing, more like once a month. You don't need to devote hours of self care every single day. Even if it's 20 minutes a day reading, or relaxing in a hot bath once a week, make the time to take care of yourself. Because no amount of makeup can fix a mom who is perpetually exhausted.


If you're wondering, don't forget to read:
{You have time for self care?!}
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas!