September 8, 2018

"Well I can't do any self care because ..."



     Any time I talk about self care, I hear so many excuses from women on why they can't do it and how they're so tired and wish they had the time or energy to take care of themselves. "Well I can't do any self care because..." "I don't have time." "Who will take care of my kids while I relax?" "I can't afford it." "I don't know how." Etc.. etc.. etc..


"But I have kids, I can't just ignore them." Mama, you also have a father in the house. Yes, he comes home tired, exhausted from work. That shouldn't stop him from being a father. Let him rest for a little bit, feed him, do whatever, but then go and do what you must while he takes care of the kids. Thankfully I don't have to force Mr. Chickadee to be what he wanted to be. A father. We have our issues, but this is for sure not one of them. He understands the need to rest and take care of ones self.

Some people have asked if my husband babysits while I take care of myself. I don't know whether to laugh or punch them in the face. If that's the case, I babysit my kids all day long too then.

Now if the father is not in the picture, and you don't have family to rely on. You at least have a friend. Talk to her about helping each other out. One day you watch her kiddos while she does some self care, another day she watches yours while you take care of yourself. She probably needs it as much as you do.

But like I said in a previous post, self care doesn't need to happen on a daily basis. Some of these can be done with your kiddos on a daily basis, like what you eat and exercising. Some things are once a week deals and some are once a month.

Get plenty of rest, I know this isn't always possible. I have 7 children, I KNOW. But when you run on 4 hours of sleep for the 7th night in a row, it will show. Some women have the skill to apply make up to cover it up, I don't. Saturdays are usually my sleep in days. Doesn't always happen, but it's absolutely glorious when it does.  Plus, it's not healthy to run on 4 hours of sleep day in and day out.

Eat a healthy diet, I'm not saying deprive yourself of food. I'm saying, stop eating all those sugary treats, all those processed, packaged foods, they aren't good for your body and they're not good for your children either. 

Exercise, all you need is 30 minutes, 2-3 times a week.. even if it's just a slow walk. Put your baby in the stroller and go.

Take relaxing baths, doesn't have to be anything fancy. Get a bag of Epsom salts and add a cup to the bath water. Relax in it for 20 minutes. Once a week.

Face masks, this can be done after your children have gone to bed, doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. There are so many diy options to make with ingredients you already have!

Get a hair trim every few months. I cut my pixie every 2-4 months. 

Pluck those eyebrows, or find a good waxing kit. Clean eyebrows take years off the face!

Put on a little makeup: that's not to say that I never leave the house without makeup on.

Wear something nice, get out of those pj's! Seriously. I know they're comfortable, but I don't own any clothes that aren't just as comfortable as a pair of pj's.

If you're not good at putting cute outfits together, go to pinterest for ideas. Look into making a capsule wardrobe. Then anything you grab out of your closet will look good together and you'll look put together.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas!