March 13, 2017

Capsule Wardrobe



     I've never been one to put "outfits" together. I mean, I put on a shirt and a skirt or a dress. That's my outfit. And like most women, I had a closet full of clothes with nothing to wear and wear the same outfits over and over. Yes, I'm a stay at home mom, so it's not like anyone ever sees me, but I would still like to look nice for myself. And I do go out and see people, I'm not chained to the wall lol. I go to church, bible study, grocery shopping, mops, play dates, mom dates, and, though not often enough, Mr. Chickadee does take me out on dates.


     While I was decluttering my closet for the #40bags40days challenge, I decided I need to create a wardrobe that I would love all the clothes I own and wear them all. I've been seeing on Pinterest about capsule wardrobes.
"Capsule wardrobe is a term coined by Susie Faux, the owner of a London boutique called "Wardrobe" in the 1970s. According to Faux, a capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don't go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces." 
     I loved the concept, but the more I looked for ideas, the more I realized, these wardrobes are very neutral colored. Even the "color" accents weren't all that colorful (see photo above). And I. Love. Color. So I decided to create my own colorful wardrobe and still be able to mix and match. However, I ran into a problem. Once I counted all the pieces in my capsule, it is so not minimal!! At the moment I am up to 92 pieces. Which includes: tops, bottoms, layering, casual dresses, special occasion, accessories, and shoes.

     When looking at other capsule wardrobes, I noticed they are all seasonal; I think that's how they're able to keep it between 20 and 30 pieces. However, I need a year round, 4 season wardrobe, and one with more color. Though I love the idea of a minimal closet, I think I love color more. So we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas!