Monday, June 6, 2016

Educational Hours Log

      It is always a good idea to log the amount of hours your home schooled students completed. In the state of Missouri, children are required to complete a total of 1000 hours of learning. Of those hours, 600 must be of core subjects; for example: Bible, math, language, reading, history, science. And 400 hours of non core subjects; for example: art, music, another language, home economics, physical education, etc. Of course there are no limits and you can teach more, as long as you have logged at least the recommended hours.



       I have actually never recorded hours before since we had mostly used A Beka on DVD and I was confident that we got the goal of 1000 hours and then some. However, even though we will continue to use A Beka, I felt uneasy at not having those records and decided it was time to figure that part out. So I created an excel template to help me. I created it in a way that all I do is type in the hours for each subject, for each student and it adds them all up for me. AND I also made it so that I would not be able to type anywhere I shouldn't... that way I won't accidentally delete the equations that make all this possible. Easy Peasy!
 
I put everything in a three ring binder:
(click on the photos to view them larger)
  

I did have to back track for this year and previous year, since in Missouri we should have current and previous year records.
 
Here is an example of our first month of school and as you can see we didn't start until November. The beauty of homeschooling ♥
   


And at the end of the school year I see all the totals here, divided into core and non cores hours so I can see at a glance if we have the required 600 core hours and a total of 1000.
  

I made the template using Excel 2013 and am not sure how it works with older or newer versions, but if you are interested, you can download it here.. you won't be able to preview the file, but press download and then either "open with ..." or "save file" to view it. I also made a YouTube video with instructions on how to fill it out, so feel free to view it for reference or even to preview the template.  Please don't sell the template or any parts of it as your own since I am providing it free for anyone to use.

If you don't have excel you can download this Printable Educational Hours Log
(though you will have to add up all the hours yourself)
At the end of the file there is an example of how to fill it in.
 

Happy Schooling!

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 21, 2017

    I just came across your template and this is exactly what I needed as I homeschool in Missouri as well. Thanks so much for sharing. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Let me know how it works out for you.

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome! Let me know how it works out for you.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts and ideas!